23 May 2010

Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes

If one were to drop by our place on either a Saturday or a Sunday morning, chances are we are most likely making, have made, or are planning to make these delicious sour cream pancakes. 


Honestly, they are in full rotation and are perhaps the most popular dish we've ever made in a three month period.  Did I mention that they are delicious?  They are also a snap to make.  And best of all, these pancakes don't leave me feeling as though a I have a pile of bricks hanging out in my tummy.  Dan loves them so much I'm fairly certain he would eat them at least once a day if he could.


I originally stumbled upon this recipe while perusing  Smitten Kitchen, who got the recipe in Ree Drummond's The Pioneer Woman Cooks.  As Deb explains, they are Ree's husband's Grandma Edna Mae's sour cream pancakes.  Honestly, it puts a smile on my face every time Dan suggests these and I get to respond, "You mean Edna Maaaaae's sour cream pancakes?  You bet I want Edna Mae's pancakes."  I really love the idea that we, in our tiny little kitchen in Philadelphia, are carrying on someone's grandmother's pancake legacy.


You can follow the recipe with confidence, but I prefer to add the zest of half to one whole lemon.   One time I switched the vanilla extract for almond extract and they were divine.  I've even skipped the extract all together (I ran out) and they were still fabulous.  As Deb suggests, you can even replace the sour cream with Greek yogurt if you've of sour cream.  This is a helpful suggestion because many a'time I've used yogurt in place of my missing sour cream and it worked just fine.  The only thing missing is the tangy snap of the sour cream but that is forgivable because these puppies are just so light and tasty and I doubt that anything could do them wrong.


If you are a fan of the pancake or not so much (such as myself), try these.  You will not regret it.  I promise you.  A clean plate every time that would make Grandma proud.


Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes

7 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/ 2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream 2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1/2 - 1 whole lemon (depending on size of lemon)
Butter
Maple Syrup

Heat a cast iron skillet, griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat; I find the cast iron skillet works rather well.

Stir the flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the sour cream and stir together very gently being careful not to over mix (texture will be slightly uneven).  In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and vanilla.  Being careful not to over mix, add egg mixture to sour cream mixture.     

Melt butter in the skillet. Pour the batter into skillet 1/4 cup at a time. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until bubbles form on the surface, then flip the pancakes. Cook for another 45 seconds and remove. Repeat with the remaining batter. 


Makes approximately 9 - 12 (4-inch) pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!