01 June 2012

The Devon Horse Show and Country Fair


This is a photo heavy post, so I'll keep my commentary brief!  Since moving out of the city last October there have been certain things that Dan and I have grown to really, really miss- particularly this time of year, when the nights are warm and it's so easy to while away the hours seated outside a cafe or riding our bikes through the city.  But its nights like last evening when I am reminded just how fortunate we are to have found ourselves in our new town- Wayne, Pennsylvania.  

Sure, it isn't quite as exciting as our old neighborhood, but it has its own small town charm and offers us little treasures like the Devon Horse Show that just really put a smile on my face from ear to ear.


We decided to visit the Devon Horse Show last evening, at the spur of the moment, when a few friends asked us to join them.  I'm so happy that we did.  The Devon Horse Show, founded in 1896, is considered to be the oldest and largest outdoor horse show in the United States.  Dan and I, having never been to a horse show, were like children in a candy store.  There was such a charm to the place and it was a prime people watching event.  To be honest, having come just from work, I felt a bit undressed but I'll be prepared to wear my finest sundress next year, and perhaps a nice big ol'hat, too- because, why not, right?

I'll also come armed with a picnic basket full of treats and a bottle of wine and make a nice romantic date out of it.    



The Horse Show is also considered the area's Country Fair (a tradition dating back to 1919) and offers everything you'd hope for in a fair- included fresh cut french fries, cotton candy, and a classic ferris wheel.  But with a mini Capital Grille, Anthropologie, Terrain, and Trove- it sure was the swankiest country fair I've ever attended.  

Anyways, enough rambling- on with the photos:




Our new friend.  Horses are such beautifully fascinating creatures.


A restored 19th century Wells Fargo Stage Coach:
In the mid 19th century, Wells Fargo stage coaches criss-crossed the American West delivering mail.  Stopping only to change horses, the run from St. Louis to San Francisco could be made in 25 days.  In 1869, the Gold Spike joined the rails of the Transcontinental Railroad, bringing to an end the era of the stage coach.


Last evening's jumping event, which featured elite athletes and horses, was incredibly special because it is regarded as one of the deciding factors in who will compete on the U.S. show jumping team at this summer's London Olympics.  We certainly picked a great night to attend!


For a detailed history of the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, and for some lovely old photos of the event, click here.

2 comments:

Maria Sself said...

this is so exciting - we used to go to such horse shows when I was little, so your post revived those sweet childhood memories!;-)

helen ethel studio said...

Oh, I am so happy to have done that for you!! I couldn't imagine how exciting something like this must be for a little girl! I can't wait until next year. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!