10 February 2011

Labradorite and Gold Vermeil Necklace

Hello readers.  I haven't had a chance to work on new work for my etsy shop (hopefully to open in the near future *fingers crossed*) but I have been busy with a few custom orders which I am very fortunate for. 

This necklace was commissioned for my boyfriend's sister for her birthday.  I'm not sure why, but when I thought of what I wanted to do her for her, I could not get Labradorite out of my head.

 

I happened upon this Labradorite pendant while shopping for last minute supplies at a bead shop in the city.  The specimen is amazing.  As I was working with it I could not stop fixating upon the way it plays with the light with each movement.  It was absolutely lovely. 


I tried my very best to capture the flash, or labradorescense, of the stone.  The base color is a silvery gray (seen better in the photo below), but when held up to the light, flashes of green, blue and purple emerge in stunning ways.  


I had a bit of difficulty wire wrapping it as the stone is drilled from top to bottom rather than side to side, as I had hoped.  With Dan's help, and a little gold bead "anchor" at the base of the stone, I was able to get a nice wrap at the top.  The 14 k gold filled wire seems rather dull in the photos, but in real life, it is not- I assure you. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!